86 Fuel Consumption

Discussion in 'Toyota 86 Specific' started by jongpau, Jul 12, 2012.

1. jongpau Member

Message Count:
    Hey All,

I have been driving my GTS auto for a bit over a week and a half now and am amazed by how fuel efficient it is in real life. I haven't been doing too much exessive driving but I have put my foot down a bit and I do drive down from the Blue Mountains to Epping every day (some motorway and stop/start driving) and to date my average consumption is around 7.1 liters per 100km (using the trip computer). That's spot on with what is reported on the sticker as the average, which I find quite remarkable.

I was wondering how everybody else is going with their 86's fuel consumption?
  2. OZFT86 Administrator

Message Count:
    That is pretty awesome fuel economy! Do you know how far you've gotten on a full tank and how much the tank costs?

Are you using the Paddle Shifters constantly as well or just in Auto Mode?
  3. jongpau Member

Message Count:
    I haven't really driven the car from full to empty yet. As I am a cheapskate I have been getting the fuel while it's on the low end of the discount cycle ;) I think on average the 98 that I filled up with was around $1.36 a liter (fuel was really cheap around here the last week or two, gone up by 22 cents or so last Tuesday).

In normal use I use the paddle shifters only when I need them - that is, I drive in Auto and paddle shift when I need to get past someone quick and sometimes to have a playful downshift when slowing down. Over the weekend however I have been doing some trips in which I have used only the paddles, taking the car through bendy mountain roads and having some fun learning how it handles.
  4. RZ86 Moderator

Message Count:
    I'm getting about 6.8 - 8.0 depending on how I'm driving.
  5. Gav New Member

Message Count:
    Manual or auto rz86?
  6. RZ86 Moderator

Message Count:
    Manual
  7. bobbY_brz New Member

Message Count:
    My mate has been getting 8-9l with a mix of city and heavy driving. I'll be happy with that with my similar driving style.
  8. jongpau Member

Message Count:
    Lol maybe I have been driving like an old lady ;)
  9. Mswhong Member

Message Count:
    A full tank usually lasts ~500km for me.. but it did say in the brochure that the fuel tank had a capacity of 50L but whenever i fill up i fall short of 42 litres.. any ideas?
  10. Zero00 Active Member

Message Count:
    I find the in-car fuel consumption NOT accurate in my 08 Levin - best record speedo and litres to one decimal place and start a spreadsheet to record all, I got them current for all four cars, handy to know exactly what they are doing .. being slightly 'older' [bordering an antique!] my sheet also calculates to the old 'MPG' [miles per gallon] If my GT manual records 7.5/100 I will be happy! Levin can get down to 6.21/100km on a trip [6 speed manual]
  11. jongpau Member

Message Count:
    I did the quick math when I last filled up. I ended up doing 7.5 liters to 100 km on that refill. Still not too foul at all and almost as good as what's advertised
  12. Zero00 Active Member

Message Count:
    Do the quick sums when you fill up! 400km if 30 litres or less then better than 7.5 - 300km if 22.5 litres etc etc

For those that can't count but have an iPhone use the calculator!! You did 537km? then divide the litres by 5.37 !! It's that easy

Funny, every time I fill either the MX5's or the Levin seem to always get within a litre of my guesstimate prior to filling! Not so after a 'track day'!